Implementation: This activity presents an opportunity to share knowledge and learn together the medicinal and nutritional value of how to use herbs and spices to achieve a diverse, healthy and tasty diet through smell, taste, touch and talk.
Requirements: Provide a selection of growing herbs (minimum six); facilitator to prepare Herbs and Spices handout identifying properties and health benefits; white board or Flip chart and pens.
- Discuss all together knowledge and stories of using herbs and spices
- Write up on wall chart (white board / flip-chart) new words and build a glossary of food and cooking related words and terms (see Annex 4 of the Practical Guide to Healthnic Workshop)
- All together, identify herbs by touch, smell and feel. Encourage sharing memories, stories and feelings that have been stimulated by the activity.
- Hand-out provided for reference and available to take home
- Enhanced communication and story-telling of diverse cultures and traditions
- Overcome language and cultural barriers
- Experience group bonding
- Understanding the difference between a herb and a spice
- Improve knowledge of the nutritional and medicinal value of herbs and spices
- Understanding value of using herbs and spices to diversify traditional dishes